SCOPE: ‘Packaging of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Smoked Arbequino Oil smoked with oak wood and Arbequino Oil with essential oils in glass bottles, Extra Virgin Olive Oil packaged in plastic containers or aluminium cans.’
DESCRIPTION: The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is the Global Food Safety Standard that was developed to specify the necessary safety, quality and performance criteria to be met by companies engaged in the manufacture of food products in order for them to meet their obligations in terms of compliance with legislation and consumer protection. The format and content of the Standard were designed to facilitate the assessment of a company’s facilities, operating systems and procedures by a competent third party (a certification body) based on the requirements of said Standard.
LEVEL OF CERTIFICATION: Castillo de Canena has not only achieved, and is committed to, the accreditation of this Standard, but this past year it attained the certification’s highest levels of excellence classified as ‘AA level’ certification, which only a small number of Spanish companies have obtained.
THE GROUP’S INTERNAL REASONS FOR IMPLEMENTATION: Of the main reasons for which the Castillo de Canena Group implemented this food health and safety standard, the following should be highlighted:
- Properly identifying and managing all the processes of our company that are related to food health and safety, from the delivery of the olives and auxiliary products to the sale of the finished product, including all industrial, hygiene and personnel-related processes.
- Guaranteeing the quality of the processes and service offered to customers, as well as the products sold, via the application of the necessary controls at every stage of production.
- Guaranteeing compliance with all the legal requirements that are applicable to the company’s activity, in particular those related to the health and self-assessment standards to which the food industry is subject to. Special importance is given to effectively integrate the self-assessment system into the general dynamic of our company.
- Achieving customer satisfaction and ensuring that the products launched onto the market meet the necessary quality parameters.
- Obtaining information on the running of the processes that are directly related to the quality of the product as well as to the aspect of health and safety to ensure continual improvement.
- Certification of the management system regarding food safety by an independent certification body which carries out an inspection of our company.
The overall result of the application of the BRC requirements at our food company is the significant improvement of traceability of processes at every level. Improvements thus include the necessary controls to be carried out upon delivery of the olives and auxiliary products, including checking the presence or absence of allergens and of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs), as well as of any other circumstances that could have a possible impact on potential consumers and which must also be properly identified.
In addition, an exhaustive check of auxiliary materials allows each element that comes into contact with the foods to be identified and traced in a comprehensive and individualised way. The mechanisms established to monitor the processes linked to Critical Control Points (CCPs) allow risks to be eliminated at every stage, and any deviation detected can be immediately responded to. All this allows efficient management traceability of production, and this is regularly tested by running food safety incidents drills in accordance with protocols to withdraw a product from the market; these have been established and implemented at the company.
All of this has enabled Castillo de Canena to access international markets where large distribution groups, in particular those of the English-speaking world, all demand that suppliers who wish to sell to them must prove they comply with strict requirements related to the system of quality management, and must also prove the presence of the proper health and hygiene controls to ensure that the products supplied are trustworthy.
ACTIVITY INVOLVED: Packaging
YEAR CASTILLO DE CANENA OBTAINED THE CERTIFICATION: 2012
CERTIFICATION BODY: Det Norske Veritas (DNV)