“Since the early 1980’s Luis Vañó, a true son of Jaén by birth and by conviction, has dedicated all his energies to promoting innovation and constant improvement in olive cultivation and olive oil production. At a time when few others were thinking in these terms, he looked to different fields of scientific knowledge to strengthen his companies and make them more competitive. With this Call for Entries to the VI Edition of the Castillo de Canena “Luis Vañó” Award for Research on Olive Cultivation and Oil, created in 2010, the Castillo de Canena company pays tribute to its President’s long history of fruitful work, work that has contributed greatly to the economic and social development of the Jaén Province while stimulating research and better understanding of olive cultivation and olive oil”.
With the aim of promoting and stimulating scientific knowledge and technological capacity in the field of olive cultivation and olive oil production, the family-owned enterprise Castillo de Canena launches its VI Edition of the Castillo de Canena “Luis Vañó” Award for Research on Olive Cultivation and Olive Oil with a public call for entries, subject to the following RULES:
- The competition is open to all original scientific and technological research papers in the field of olive cultivation that have not been published before October 1, 2019.
- There shall be one prize of SIX THOUSAND EUROS and an official plaque which shall be awarded to the author(s) of the winning paper, as decided in an open competitive process. The award shall not be divided. The prize is subject to taxation as dictated by law.
- In the event that the award-winning paper has not been previously published, it can be published in scientific journals or in other publications, always stating that this work has received the VI International Castillo de Canena Luis Vañó Award. In addition to this, there will be a printed bilingual publication carried out by Castillo de Canena of 1000 books.
- The jury shall be presided over by the Rector of the University of Jaén and shall include renowned scholars in the field of olive cultivation and olive oil research. The jury shall be comprised of 8 members, 4 selected by the University of Jaén and 4 by the University of California at Davis.
- All entries must be submitted between the 1st of April and the 31th of October of 2021.
- The jury’s decision shall be announced before December 30th 2021. This decision is final.
- Entry in the competition for this Award is open to individuals as well as research teams. In the case of research teams, a full list of participants shall be included in the application. One member will be designated as representative.
- Papers shall be sent in Spanish and in English, only by email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. One paper shall use a pseudonym system, without any signature or other information that might serve to identify the author(s). In the second paper participants should include the application form, indicating the full name(s) of the author(s), as well as a contact address, telephone number, fax number, etc., a declaration of agreement to the terms of participation in the “VI International Castillo de Canena Luis Vañó Award”. and a CV of the author(s). The work should also include a summary (maximum 3 pages) of the paper submitted, highlighting the study’s principle contributions to the field.
- Participation in this call for entries indicates a complete acceptance of its RULES.
- If the jury deems that none of the works submitted meet the standards of scholarship, it may choose not to award the prize.
- The winner(s) of the award shall be invited to attend an Award Ceremony, as shall the President of the Jury and representative from UC Davis.